Friday, January 23, 2009

Sometimes You Feel Like a Runner

There are times when you go for a run and everything's clicking. Your legs feel good, your feet feel light, you just feel RIGHT.

Last night was not that night. After my easy 3 miler on Tuesday night, I was supposed to follow up with an easy 6 miler for my midweek run. As per usual, I hopped on the treadmill after the kids were on bed and set it at 5.5 mph. That's about a 10:54 pace, faster than my goal race pace for the marathon, but slower than I usually run my weekday runs. Right from the beginning I wasn't feeling it. I just felt like my legs were heavy, I couldn't find a good rhythm, and (this was of the most concern to me) I was having more lower leg pain than any point up to now. Maybe it was just the treadmill blahs or something. I mean, sure, I had an episode of Dexter (awesome show) in the DVD player to keep my mind occupied, but there were times I was hoping Dex would just kill ME and put me out of my misery.

Now there was a point (between mile 4.75 and 5.5) where I felt pretty good. I know it seems like a short part of the run, but I'll take what I can get. And there is the fact that I COULD have stopped at any point (it's not like I was 3 miles into the country and HAD to make it back somehow. Perhaps last night was not about having a good run, but about building mental toughness. I stayed with it, gutted it out even while in pain (a bit) and not feeling it.

Maybe that was the important part of last night's run. At this point I'll take what I can get.

Huge shout out to my sis (also in training for the marathon). She's a bit concerned about her mileage (or lack of it) based on her coach's training plan. Don't worry; you'll be AWESOME.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Knowing you can stop at any time is definitely one of the hardest parts about running on the treadmill. Granted, when you're running outside you can stop and walk, but you still have to cover the mileage either way. Treadmill not so much.

Also, I tried to get into Dexter while on the treadmill, but it just isn't grabbing me. Which is too bad because it's about the right length time-wise for my mid-week run.

Kris said...

Wow, you're one up on me. At least you *sometimes* feel like a runner. :-)

Don't worry, you'll have those days where things don't just click. And although I agree with the mental toughness of sticking with it, there's another school of thought that says if it's going that badly, your miles are just 'junk' miles anyway and it's okay to cut it short.

A bit worried about the leg pain too. Maybe you should have it checked out. As I'm sure you know, increased mileage will stress your body more. Icing and stretching are key.

Thanks for the shout out. I just want to make sure I'm prepared to keep up with you and keep us on track for our goal! Starting next week I'll have three weeks of long runs (10,12,14) in a row, so maybe I should be careful what I wish for, eh? :-)

moonmaiden said...

Do your best young Jedi and you will be OUR Jedi Master no matter what! Use and Trust the Force Jedi Dad!!