Tuesday, January 6, 2009

9 Miles is a long freaking way....

And it's more than a little daunting that in just over 3 months I'll be running almost 3 times that distance. But one step at a time.

Last Sunday was my longest run in, oh, 8 months. It really wasn't so bad except for the last mile and a half. That's when things started to get rough. The previous weekends long run was supposed to have been a step down week with an easy run of five miles. Well, the universe seemed to conspire against me on that day and so I ended up skipping the run altogether. No problem. I'd already done 7 two weeks ago so 9 is only a couple more, right? Apparently my body remembered it had gone 7 and thought that should be it.

I took gel at the 1.25 mile mark, and then again at the 6 mile mark. Each seemed to help a bit and didn't upset my stomach, so that was good. I probably didn't drink enough water, so I'll have to keep that in mind for next time.

Initially my shins had been a bit sore from running a pretty run with my sister on an indoor track during which we pushed the pace a bit. For those of you who know me (and I'd be more than a little surprised if there was anyone reading this who doesn't) you know that I'm not the smallest guy (right now I weigh about 215). That's a lot of pressure to be putting on my legs when you really pound it out. Surprisingly my shins didn't give me any problems during the long run. Sure they were a little sore, but that's to be expected. My quads, however, burned! Especially that last 1.5 miles. No worries, just a good kind of burn.

My goals for the run were:

1: run the whole thing (check)

2: finish the run (check)

3: maintain an 11 minute mile pace, thereby beating Apollo (my Garmin virtual training partner), (check).

The end result : 9 miles with an avg pace of 10:42.

Mission accomplished.

4 comments:

Kris said...

Why yes...yes it is. Nice job on the run! You better not leave me in the dust....on second thought, I hope you do and rock your first marathon! That would be freakin' awesome.

Rob said...

No leaving you in the dust. We're stickin' together!!

Rob said...

Of course if you get the chance to leave me in the dust, I expect you to take it!

Kris said...

No way mister. You and me...finishing up at 12:59 pm ....or earlier. Hey, a girl can dream right? :-)