Friday, January 16, 2009

Choices

So I had a choice to make last night when it came to my run. I could either do some "speedwork" on the treadmill, or I could do my 5 miler at my usual 10 minute per mile pace on the treadmill. Unfortunately the choice wasn't run outside or run inside. The temperature/windchill here has put the temp WAY below zero the last few days so running outside was not really an option for me.

Because I was afraid the speedwork may have caused further problems with the shin pain I've been having (and I'm not even so sure it's the shin necessarily, but more like the bone? on the inside of my leg (tibia?fibia?)) I elected to go with the 5 miles at the "normal" treadmill pace. I hadn't rum that far at that pace since my training for the Pig last year, so it was a bit of an experiment. And (I could be stretching the definition here) since my goal pace for the marathon is 11:27/mile, doesn't a 10 minute mile qualify as speedwork? Maybe? Kinda?

With the aid of a pretty good episode of Dexter, the miles went by fairly quickly and I felt pretty good afterwords. I took my pulse ok the treadmill afterwords and it was 135. Not sure how accurate that is, but it seems like it was quite a bit off of my calculated "target" heart rate. Maybe that means I'm getting In better shape after all?

Now my choice for my long run this weekend seems to be run inside or run outside? The temp is supposed to be ok, and it's only 7 miles (step down week) so I'm hoping for outside. Inside would either mean the treadmill (dreadmill?) again, or 56 laps around the indoor track uptown at the school. Hmmmm. I REALLY hope it's decent outside.

As if the marathon itself isn't enough motivation to keep running, I joined a couple challenges on Nike+. The first is kind of a throwaway ( run 10k every month on 09), but the second one is a bit better (rum 300 miles in 09). I haven't calculated how many miles my marathon training include, but it should get me off to a good start towards that one. I've (and you heard it here first) decided I'd like to try to run 1000 miles this year. It seems like a lot, but it's only like 21 or so miles a week.

Uh oh. Did I really just put that out there?

And call me weird or sick, or whatever, but I was actually looking at the websites for the Chicago and New York marathons yesterday. And actually considering them.

Maybe I should finish one first.

Later.

1 comment:

Kris said...

135 means you're not pushing hard enough. ;-) Okay, okay, that's just for me....looks like I have a high HR in general, altho I haven't done my running HR test yet....that's sunday. Hey it's good to have a 'post-marathon' goal to keep you moving! I know when I don't have an event to train for I end up couching it more than I should. NY could be tough...just because you'd have to lottery in, oh and there's those bridges (big hills)...and Chicago, well, just be sure to carry you're own water. ;-)