Saturday, April 25, 2009

First Post-Race Runs


So after taking about 10 days off after the marathon, I finally stepped back into my running shoes and onto the treadmill last Wednesday night. After the race, I decided that I want to focus a bit on getting faster, so I'm going to be doing some things differently with my training.

Anyway, Wednesday night I decided I wasn't going to push it (too much), and ran 3 miles at 6mph with a 1% incline. It felt pretty good; it was a bit hard (I haven't run at that pace in awhile, as my marathon training was a bit slower), but the effort felt good and my legs felt great. No post marathon rust, which I was a bit afraid of.

Last night I decided to give some speedwork (again on the treadmill) a shot. The workout went as follows:

.5 mile warmup@5.4mph
5 repeats of .25 mile@7mph followed by .25@5mph
.5 mile cooldown at 5.4mph

I have to admit that the final cooldown .5 was the final "rest" portion of the interval repeat, so the workout as was 3.25 miles instead of 3.5. The fast portions of the intervals felt a bit hard (isn't that kind of the point?), but the rest laps gave me ample time to recover. My only concern is that the recovery time was too slow/too long. If anyone has any input, I would LOVE to hear it, as I really want to get faster and don't want to try to do speedwrork that isn't goingnto benefit me.

That's all for now. I may try to squeeze in a 5 mile this weekend, but with a trip to Disney coming up in a week, there's lots to get done.

Thanks to all for the congratulations and encouragement on the marathon. It really means a lot to me. I just have this sneaking feeling that if I work just a bit harder I can break 5 hours. :-)

Later all!

-- Post From My iPhone

2 comments:

Kris said...

Ahhh, you've been bitten by the bug! ;-) I'm pretty sure that now that you know what to expect you could go sub 5. I'll see if I have some speed work drills somewhere and drop them into an email.

Erin said...

If you want your finisher's certificate, go here and print it out. That's what I did.