Sunday, November 25, 2007

Post Race Runs are.....Not Fun.

Well, it's been a week since I ran in my first 5k, and I've run twice since then. The first run was the Tuesday night after the run on Saturday, and it was ROUGH. I attribute that to a couple different factors: 1) I hadn't run much in the couple weeks prior to the race, 2) I upped the distance by .2 of a mile from my regular weekly runs, 3) I was running at night (which I always find harder than running in the morning), and 4) I was still sore from the race. That being said, I started out pretty strong, then faded as the run went on. And as I slowed down, I realized one thing: The slower you go, the longer the pain lasts. Nothing serious, mind you, just the normal stress of running. Not injury pain, just well, more discomfort, I guess.

I was going to run on Thursday morning, but being Thanksgiving, opted not to.

My second run was this morning, and I set out specifically not worrying about time, but instead on making it the longest run I've done yet (4 miles) and "running" the whole way. It was actually kinda funny, because even though I was running slowly, my body seemed to want to see what it could throw at me to make me quit. For about the first 3/4 mile, my left shin kinda ached. Then it went away. Then for about the next mile, my right shin started to ache. Then it went away. Then my thighs were a bit sore; then that went away too. I think finally my body just said "Screw it. This dumbass isn't going to quit, so I might as well make the best of it." After the run I felt REALLY good. Ain't it strange?

Nike + tells me I hit 52 miles (congrats it says), but the "real" reward comes when I break 100 miles. So I can't wait for that :-). And Lance Armstrong congratulated me personally on achieving my longest workout yet. Man, am I popular or what?? ;-)

Later, folks.

No comments: